Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Repurposing Take 2

Today, I attempted a dress for Janey. I found an adorable white with tiny yellow polkadots shirt that I really wanted for myself, but there was nothing even similar in my size, nor do I actually *need* another shirt. So Janey gets it. Having learned from Breanne's dress, this time I cut off the "skirt" part of the dress first, and left it full. I cut out the top (in the fashion of Made's 90 Minute Shirt), using the original neckline again. The pattern on the fabric is SO light, so I decided I might need a little more contrast in it. I found an old, stretched out yellow t-shirt of mine, and cut a strip out to put in the middle of the top and bottom of Janey's dress. The last step was sleeves, which I was able to cut out of the extra scraps leftover from the top of the shirt. After I pieced it all together, I came out with this:




Janey really likes it, and insisted on wearing it all evening. Once again, though, it's just so-so. But better than Breanne's, I think. Progress. :) I want to take the yellow strip in, make it about 1, maybe 1.5" across instead of the 2.5" it is now. And while I do that, hopefully I can fix some of the gathering. This is really my first experience in sewing with knits, and it's definitely been a challenge. Maybe someday I'll sew with a pattern, and get things that actually come out looking nice... but first I'll have to learn how to do that. :/

In the meantime, Breanne loves her new dress, too... but mostly just likes to make crazy faces at the camera:


7 comments:

  1. Jessie, you are crazy amazing! I love that both girls love their dresses. And I love Breanne's crazy face =).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw that little yellow polka dot. So so cute! Love the dresses you're making!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like that dress! I think it looks great. I wish I was crafty in this way sometimes...may someday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so talented. Love the dresses. How do you find the time to sew? I can't wait to see what you try next.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey...they look awesome! If you want ideas I recommend to look here!
    http://www.makeit-loveit.com/
    she is amazing...and she is always making cute things for her daughter...and I think that she even did the same thing with a shirt!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love looking at your blog! Cute projects and cute kids!

    ReplyDelete